21 February, 2011

Reactions of a Spurned Lover to Voltaire

"This isn't a love song. I'm through writing those for you."
Oh why won't Voltaire quit playing in my head?
Why must his words be apropos for my life?

"You say you're at Mother's, but do you mean lover's?"
Dear God! Make it stop!
His voice will drive me mad!

"Are you in the amorous arms of another?"
Merciful Zeus! Is there no end?
I can't seem to find the off button.

"But all that I know is it's midnight and you haven't called."
Holy sweet Baby Jesus, I can't take anymore!
Please, have mercy, find the pause button of my mind!

Voltaire concedes, silence in my head.
Praise God, there is mercy in the world.
But wait, a clicking sound, a new track starts.

Through the screaming protests in my head
I can only make out one line on repeat
"I wait for the day when I'll finally defile the bodies of my ex lover's lovers."

Sweet Jesus! Voltaire did not concede
was merely switching songs
on the tortured jukebox of my mind

I sink, defeated, to the ground
You win, Voltaire. You have succeeded.
The soundtrack to my broken heart.

(I have quoted "Snakes" and "Ex-Lover's Lover" by Voltaire)

No comments:

Post a Comment